Thursday, June 11, 2009

Linda B., Healthy Food, etc.

Yesterday I went out in service from 7:30 to 2:30. I worked with Ishi; her congregation is doing their invitation campaign, which always promises a good time, so I helped with that. Linda B. was in our group. Linda is in her late forties (I'm guessing), one of those women who always look impeccable - makeup done, every blonde hair in place. I swear she must have one of those photographic minds. She reads voraciously and knows more than I do about every subject under the sun. She told me, and this is pretty cool, that there is only one molecule's difference between chlorophyll and hemoglobin. Hemoglobin has iron, which makes it red, while chlorophyll has magnesium, which makes it green. So it's no wonder we're supposed to eat our veggies! It also explains all those crazy people drinking wheat grass juice. I always thought it was some bizarre fad for vegans and health nuts, so they can feel superior to the rest of us. Apparently, though, it's a "blood builder."

I've never asked, but I think maybe it's Linda who started the healthy lunch fad in the Narrows congregation. For lunch yesterday she brought: a chicken and veggie wrap, a zip-lock bag of almonds, and one of fresh blueberries. My sister brought: lettuce wraps: tomato, avocado, and bacon. I brought: a gladlock box with a mix of brown rice, cubed skinless chicken breast, and Asian vegetable medley. We ate outside at the picnic bench, in the cool breeze and blinding sun. Linda complemented Ishi and me on our healthy choices, and I felt proud of myself. Just like in elementary school when my teacher would say something nice about how I always colored inside the lines.

Josie Dunn showed up and gave me a memento she picked up in California, at America's first-ever Punjabi Special Assembly Day. The memento is a glossy photo of a woodland with bluebells, and there's a scripture on it, "Keep watching your ministry, that you fulfill it." It's kind of like a giant post card. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I thought it was nice that she gave it to me. Josie is cool. She's white and black and Mexican, a mix which means she looks ambiguous enough to totally pass for Punjabi. In the gas stations where the Punjabis work, she can joke with them and it sounds pretty cool, although I have no idea what she's saying.

Today I am home, getting ready for our trip to Spokane. We leave tomorrow, one o' clock-ish. There's mountains of laundry, and since I want to leave the house spic-and-span, there's also floors to scrub, etc.

I tried to make this post somewhat interesting. Tried and failed, I fear. Agh.

1 comment:

Abigail said...

I found it quite interesting actually- I really like hearing about your day to day life becuase it makes me feel closer to you and that thing about chlorophil and hemoglobin is something I'll have to remember. I don't know who else has access to your blog but remember that you will always have at least one devoted reader!