Friday, October 8, 2010

*Sigh of Relief*

Finally finished chapter 44, about five minutes ago. I can't believe how hard it was to write those last six or so pages. Writing is like any other exercise - if you let it slide, you lose your edge. I'm definitely not as quick as I used to be. Getting my thoughts in order today just felt so hard. I'm too tired right now to have any sort of perspective, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I think of the finished product. But I pretty much got all the characters where I wanted them to be at this point in the story, so I'm happy with myself.

Ugh, I hate the feeling of sitting on the couch for hours, though. And I think - no, I know - I ate too much dinner. It was just too good, and my mind was elsewhere, split halfway between the episode of Outsourced we were watching and the chapter I had not yet finished.

I really love my characters. The longer I spend writing this book, the more they come to be like people I know. I'm going to miss them when the story ends. I'm leaving it open-ended for a sequel, but I think I might need to take a break in between, and write something else for a bit of a breather. Adventure stories are hard work, I tell you.

Zack is in the office, watching something on his computer and laughing and I want to go see what it is. So I guess that's all for now.

1 comment:

Michelle Dent said...

I really understand about your characters becoming like friends and missing them when the story is finished. I wrote a lengthy short story a couple of years ago and cried when I had to say goodbye. I missed them soooo much. They had become my closest friends. That probably isn't that good...