Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Pretty Great Day

Today was surprisingly fun, considering how much I was NOT looking forward to getting out of bed and going out in service. I think it was an aftereffect of the unexpected snow day: I had spent all of Monday in sweats, eating leftover anniversary Hershey's kisses straight from the bag, watching a probably unhealthy amount of television (including this creepily intriguing new reality show called Toddlers in Tiaras. A peek at the psychotic underbelly of the kiddie pageant universe).

So this morning I didn't feel particularly tired. I was incredibly relaxed, in fact, and not at all inclined to do anything responsible. But I forced myself to go out in service anyway (because the snow had melted and I really couldn't afford to take another day off). Let me say, I am SO glad I went. It was a bitterly cold, frosty morning, and the only other people from Fircrest who showed up for service were Leslie (my neighbor), and her mom Shirley (the inner blonde). We ended up having a great time doing calls and bus stops, and visiting an elderly sister in an adult care home. Also, I met a nice old black man at a bus stop and was able to read a scripture and place a tract. I didn't even realize until halfway through the conversation that he had someone on hold on his blue tooth, but he kindly told the woman on the other end to "hold on a minute, baby," so he could follow along as I read Revelation 21:4. I hope I run into him again :).

I spent half the afternoon working with Darci, one of our hardest-working pioneers. We talked about our dream jobs (me: novelist ; Darci: playing Christine in Phantom of the Opera). Darci is cool because she's very enthusiastic and kind of kooky. She always has a million things going on in her head and is not at all embarrassed to think out loud. At one point she said, half to herself, "I tell all my Bible students not to use euphemisms, and just now I said 'darn.' I shouldn't do that." I said I'd never really thought about darn being a euphemism before, and she then listed every alternative she could think of for curse words, i.e. dang, shoot, etc.

"So what do you say, Darci?" I asked. After a second's pause, she shouted, "CRAP!"

I thought that was pretty funny.