I really did not want to get up at 6:00 for early morning service. I had to drag myself out of bed, and as I sort of wandered around in a fog, getting ready, I felt very, very grumpy. It's a good thing Zack was asleep, because I would not have been very nice to him.
It was a dark, cloudy, windy, wet-but-not-rainy morning, everything still dripping from the storm last night, and little yellow leaves sticking to my car and to the roads, giving our neighborhood a depressingly autumnal look, despite the fact that this is still August, with more than a month of summer left to go. I saw Leslie Eaton behind me at a traffic light, looking bright and chipper as ever, and I thought gloomily to myself that I was going to have to make an effort at cheerfulness, for the sake of the car group.
Yesterday morning, as we pulled into Starbucks at 8:00 am for our first coffee break of the day, we saw Leslie and her mom just leaving, off to Seattle for their Annual Mother-Daughter Day. They looked so happy and energetic that I envied them, out for a day of shopping, restaurants, and the art museum. Today Leslie had a new umbrella that she got in the SAM gift shop, decorated like one of Claude Monet's paintings. She told me all about their day out, and I found myself cheering up as I listened, and thought about the fact that Zack and I both love impressionist painters, and we have never yet gone to the city together.
It Is About Time.
It ended up being a very cheerful morning indeed. I bought Leslie coffee with my Starbucks card, which felt so good, being able to give her something, even though she is well-to-do and I am poor.
I placed two sets of magazines, with two very nice people. Back at the KH, Leslie made me photocopies of her August OKM, (we were so out of the loop while I was in pioneer school that somehow Zack and I missed getting ours, which has made Tuesday night meetings rather difficult). Now all is well and we can study for the Oral Review next week. I am happy about that.
Now it's about 10:00, I'm back home for the day, and I had a delicious breakfast of blackberries, yogurt, and granola. We picked the blackberries yesterday, while Tate was here. We had gone out for a walk up and down the hill, and the berries were so tempting along the way that we ended up going back home for a tupperware container, so we could pick some. Zack had put out our garbage a day early, by mistake. "Oh well," I said, as we walked past our garbage bin, all lonely at the side of the street, "at least it's done, so you won't forget tomorrow." Tate added, "The early bird gets the worm. Or, in this case, garbage." And then we laughed about the early bird getting the garbage.
All in all, it's shaping up to be a pretty good day. I have plenty of chores to keep me busy, and Zack is coming home for lunch.
I am happy :)
No comments:
Post a Comment