Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Party, Snow, And a Petite (But Treacherous) Daddy

Well, it's the first Sunday of January, and our meeting time changed to 10:00 am. I have to say I'm not too excited about this. Last year was sooo nice because we had the 4:00 meeting. 4:00 meeting, I miss you! We got to sleep in till 11:00 every Sunday, then have a nice leisurely brunch, study the Watchtower, and putter around the house or watch TV until 3:00, when we started getting ready for meeting.

For the next year, there will be no more sleeping in. On the other hand, we are done with meeting by 12:00 now, and have the rest of the day to do what we like. That's nice too. It's a trade-off.

Well, this evening we went to the auxiliary pioneer party at the Agues'. This was a party for all the members of our congregation who auxiliary pioneered in November. It was a coffee and hors d'oeuvres kind of thing, so Zack and I brought bagel bites. We were supposed to be there at 6:00, and when we looked out the window around 5, it was snowing! A lot! An hour later almost an inch had accumulated. We set out anyway, and pretty much slid down Center Street, which was super slippery. It's a very wet, slushy snow, and the streets are slick. It was pretty fun.

The McOmbers were at the party, with their two tiny girls, Ava and Elsie. Ava is three and a half, and Elsie is two. They have wispy, curly blonde hair and are seriously adorable. Tonight their mom was telling us how Ava is mastering the concept of opposites. "Ava, is Daddy big or little?" she asked. "Daddy is little," Ava answered. Everyone started laughing, of course, and teasing Jason, calling him petite. "Ava," he said, flexing his bicep, "is Daddy strong?" Ava shook her head,"No!" Jason tried to bribe her with treats into changing her answer, but she only laughed at him like he was the silliest person alive.

We didn't stay too late, since it was snowing the whole time. Our neighbor Valerie decided to follow us home, just to be safe, in case she got stuck. As we were brushing the snow off our cars, who should come running up but Jason McOmber. He had left his car idling in the street to come and throw snowballs at us! I was so shocked. I mean, he's our service overseer, and he totally ambushed us. It was pretty funny. I would have got him back, but he ducked at the very last second - I'm pretty sure my snowball brushed his shoulder, though.

And now we're home, and not sure whether the snow will stick around, or melt away by morning. Zack is hoping for a snow day, of course. I wouldn't mind having to stay home if he does, too. But if he goes to work then I want to be out in service. I need my time. I'm afraid to drive to our kingdom hall, though, if the roads are slippery. It's at the bottom of a pretty wicked hill, and I do not drive in snow. At all. So, we will see.

No comments: