Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Service, Micah, and Thoughts on Weddings

Today I really could not get out of bed. I was running so late, I completely missed the service meeting, but I did get there in time to find out that Andrew got a haircut. Ishi and Ed were running late also, so while I was waiting for them to show up, Art described to me what it's like to get an angiogram. Apparently, you can feel the tiny camera tickling around inside your heart! And then they release some dye to make the pictures show up better. He said it's very warm, and lets you feel how fast your blood circulates. First there's just a pool of warmth in your heart, and then, woosh, it floods through your whole body, all in a blink. "You should ask to have an angiogram sometime," he said. "It's pretty interesting." I said I would think about it.

So I worked with Ishi and Ed out in service. The main excitement of the day was that they were babysitting Micah, the baby from next door. He's six months old, he's teething, and has tummy trouble. Those factors all add up to a lot of fussing. We did a little territory, tons of calls, and stopped at one of those Mexican food trucks for lunch. I really like working with Ishi and Ed. They are pretty laid back, and funny. I think it's cool that they are pioneering together. I hope someday Zack can pioneer with me, too!

Well Ishi is having some drama this week. She and Trixy have a client named Tenley who is quite wealthy and has a big fancy old house down by Stadium High School. She's in Australia at the moment, so they're housesitting for her. Tenley said, "Why don't you guys have a cocktail party while I'm gone!" because she's really generous like that. She loves to entertain and has everything they could need for a really awesome party. So, after mulling it over, Ishi and Trixy offered to throw an engagement party for some friends of theirs. The friends were really excited about it. Then, because they had been wanting a super small, inexpensive, romantic wedding, they thought, hey - why not turn the engagement party into a surprise wedding? Ishi and Trixy said ok. They thought it would be low-key and super cool.

Then the groom's mother got involved. And she came in with a much longer guest list and a whole bunch of requests and suggestions for food, decorating, etc. Trixy and Ishi are getting really annoyed and fed up with her, because she expects to come into Tenley's house like it's hers start rearranging things and, like, sticking the three-foot-high glass candlesticks (super expensive, apparently) in the living room fireplace, taking down art off the walls and stacking it in a bedroom, and so on. Ishi is like, "We are not touching the art, no you can not put the candlesticks in the fireplace, no Trixy and I can not mess with the landscaping..." etc. It has pretty much turned into a headache, and listening to Ishi talk about it today, I was reminded of all the drama that came with planning my wedding, and how much I wish I could have just had it small and simple. It's so hard when you feel like you have to please the parents, and they want things totally different than how you want them. *Sigh*. Anyway. I need to just let it go. It's water under the bridge, now. It's just that sometimes I look back and feel so much regret. I wish I could have had a surprise wedding at Tenley's house with only twenty guests! It would have been awesome! But who knows, if I had done that, I probably would have ended up wishing I'd had something bigger. So there you go.


Anyway, our anniversary party is going to be just right. This Sunday evening we're going to get together with Ishi and Ed (who also have their anniversary in February) and do a little fondue party at Tenley's. It will be just the four of us, hanging out, eating and maybe playing some Rock Band. The other day Zack and I bought a box of chocolates from See's, and that's pretty much it as far as preparations go. Oh, and I got a cute new top to wear. I am pretty excited about it.

Before I go, here's a video of Micah that I took out in service today. By the time I got my camera out, I had missed all his really insane shrieks and laughter, but what I got is pretty darn cute. He was so in love with his red toy!

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Aww thats so cute! I'm sorry about the mom- I hope everything turns out well. How long is Ishi's client in Australia?